Hi, parents! We often have a lot of fun activities in our school, especially ones that are intercurricular and that have other goals outside of learning English. One of these activities was designing a fully-functional board game!
How did we make the game?
We did it in a live lesson by discussing and selecting the board. When we selected the board theme (at the farm), we searched for possible shapes of the board game online and decided together which one do we want.
After that, we separated the duties into 3 parts:
- Drawing the figures
- Drawing the board
- Drawing the additional parts of the board
When the kids finished, the parents sent the game to me, and then I had a lot of work as a teacher. 😀
I had to:
- Resize and clean the background of the photos to make it 100% white
- Remove the background from all the photos and make it transparent
- Put everything inside a digital tool to make the digital game
- Position everything and add circles where the kids can add questions
The rules to the game
A group of students did the rules in their native language, and then we translated them into English and edited them to fit the board game better. Here are our board game rules:
1. When you stop on the yellow box, you get a bonus and you jump to the cat.
2. When you step on the cow you go back 3 boxes.
3. When you step on the duck, you go 2 boxes forward.
4. When you step on the mouse, you go back to start.
5. When you step on the pig, you jump to the cloud, and then to the finish.
6. If you step at the purple box, you stay at the farm and don’t play for one turn.
Our animals and the farm
What can the kids learn with an activity like this?
Some amazing benefits of this kind of activity include:
- Design a board game (the board)
- Make up rules and practice grammar
- Make up questions and practice English
- Make up challenges and practice English
- Develop drawing skills
- Practice fine motor skills for holding a pencil
- Practice communication skills
- Negotiate what they want the board game to have
- Presenting skills
- Creative thinkinking skills
Ta-da! Here’s the game!
Play our actual board game below! If you like it, make sure to check out all of our programs, because we are always going above and beyond just learning a language. 🙂